STEP 1: APPLICATION&REVIEWING
- The first step in being considered as a surrogate candidate is to complete the initial surrogate application.
- Once we approve your initial application, we will invite you to complete a series of tasks and submit photos.
- A member of our staff will review your profile and schedule a telephone interview with you.
- We will request pregnancy, delivery and postpartum records from your obstetrician and set up your one-on-one assessment.
- After we receive all necessary records from your obstetrician’s office, our staff will review your records and determine if they meet our criteria.
STEP 2: SELECTION AND MATCHING
- We will admit you into our surrogacy program after the application and medical records screening.
- Your profile will be presented to the intended parents as well as the clinics.
- When Intended Parents show interest in your profile, your case manager will contact you. You will then have an opportunity to review the Intended Parents’ profile before you decide to move forward with them.
- The case manager will schedule and facilitate the Match Meeting between you and the Intended Parents. The form of a meeting could be face to face meeting or a virtual video conference through Skype or Zoom.
- After giving you a chance to review, the Case Manager will ask you to notify her of your decision to proceed or not.
- A case manager may come to your home for a casual meeting with you and your partner. A Skype interview will be conducted in cases where distance prohibits an in-home interview.
STEP 3: SCREENING AND TESTING
- Once both of you and the intended parents decide to move forward, a match sheet will be sent to the clinic.
- An on site medical screening will be scheduled for you afterward. The entire screening process takes about 3-4 weeks, depending on your cycle dates and the clinic’s availability.
- Before attending the on site medical screening, we will schedule a comprehensive evaluation of you and your partner with a licensed psychologist to determine if you are a good candidate for surrogacy.
- You and your partner will need to go to the clinic in person on the date scheduled to take the medical screening and tests. You may need to plan ahead if the clinic if far from where you live.
STEP 4: LEGAL PROCESS
- Once you are cleared by the clinic, the attorney will start drafting the surrogacy contract. And the draft will be sent to both the intended parents and you.
- You will contact your assigned attorney for consultation, a process which will help protect you in all legal matters regarding the surrogacy agreement. (We’ll make sure you have the attorney’s contact information ahead of time.)
- As soon as the contract is finalized, signed by all parties and notarized, you will begin to receive monthly surrogacy checks and attend enjoyable and informative monthly surrogate support groups.
STEP 5: PREGNANCY AND DELIVERY
- Now you are on your way to becoming pregnant! You will have a comprehensive physical evaluation at the Intended Parents’ fertility clinic, and your partner will have blood tests as well.
- After the physical evaluation, you start a cycle calendar of birth control pills and then hormone injections to prepare your body for the embryo transfer, which takes place at the Intended Parents’ fertility clinic.
- About 7 days after the embryo transfer, you will go to a local lab approved by the fertility clinic to have a blood test. The clinic will inform you and your case manager of your hormone levels (These may indicate pregnancy).
- If pregnancy is confirmed, you will schedule an ultrasound. This is a very exciting time for surrogates as they can now inform the Intended Parents that their dream of being a parent will be a reality. Until around 12 weeks of pregnancy, you will have several monitoring ultrasounds at a fertility clinic near your home. At this point you will visit your own obstetrician for the duration of the pregnancy, including delivery.
- When the baby or babies are born, your role as a gestational surrogate is complete. You can relax and recover from the birth knowing you’ve made an incredible lifelong impact on a deserving family!